call us 888.323.2133

Call us at 888.323.2133

cerebral palsy child

What Benefits Can I Get for My Child with Cerebral Palsy?

The most common motor disability among children is cerebral palsy. And if you’re raising a child with this disability, you know that the medical costs alone are ten times higher than those of children who do not. It’s understandable then, that your family may be experiencing significant financial stress. Many parents find that they cannot hold a full-time job at all. Can you get financial benefits for your child with cerebral palsy?

Fortunately, there are many ways that you can seek financial help for your child with cerebral palsy. The first thing you want to do is contact your regional center for help and resources by clicking this link: Then, do some research online regarding the following financial assistance services:

In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)

For qualified families, the state of California has a program called In-Home Supportive Service (IHSS), which pays an individual caregiver to stay home and care for a developmentally disabled child. Parents who have been deemed caregivers are granted a specific amount of hours every month so their child can remain safely in their own home, as it is considered an alternative to out-of-home care such as board and care facilities.

Medicaid in California

California has a program for individuals with developmental disabilities called a Medicaid Waiver, which is designed to provide support services and care to allow an individual to remain at home or in the community, rather than in an institution or hospital. The benefits provided by this waiver program generally provides coverage for medical treatments, respite care, transportation, in-home support, and more.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, is a monthly government payment through Social Security that was created to support people who are disabled. To help support them financially, individuals with cerebral palsy may be eligible to receive SSI.

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)

IDEA helps to provide services for children with disabilities such as cerebral palsy. Each state handles payment for these services differently. Your state’s service coordinator must provide you with a system of payments in writing that details what is available and what it will cost.

Part C of IDEA provides early intervention services to children up to 36 months of age. Under Part C, you are entitled to the following services free of charge:

  • Evaluations and assessments
  • Development and review of an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP)
  • Child Find services
  • Service coordination

Part B of IDEA assists school-age children between the ages of 3 and 21. This part of the act will provide you with the following services free of charge:

  • Specially designed instruction
  • Classroom adaptations, accommodations, and modifications
  • Supplementary aids and services such as assistive technology or peer tutors

If you feel overwhelmed and you need help, please contact us.

American Disability Association is dedicated to the wellbeing and protection of children with disabilities and actively provides support to enhance their quality of life. Whether you are dealing with federal or state benefits or struggling with a school district to get proper education for your child, we have the resources to help you. Many individuals and families managing a disability are not aware of the wide array of services available to them, or they do not know how to apply for these benefits in a way that is likely to succeed.

Contact us for help. Dial (888) 323-2133 or email us at [email protected]