call us 877.283.4807

Call us at 877.283.4807

Legal Assistance

Parenting any child can be a challenge. Parenting a child who has special needs can multiply these demands tenfold. Among the challenges faced by you as a parent of a special needs child are paying the bills, care-giving on a daily basis, and advocating for your child’s access to available services, including healthcare and education.

It is quite possible that at some point during your child’s life, it will make sense to hire, or at least consult, an attorney to help you advocate for your child.

The law surrounding the care of children with special needs, however, is complicated. Plus, the facts of each case are unique.

Generally speaking, an attorney can help you in one of two ways. A lawyer can provide advice and assistance as needed throughout the individualized education program (IEP) process while you do most of the work, or a lawyer can be directly involved as your formal representative. You may choose to have a lawyer do everything from beginning to end in the process, or you may have the lawyer handle only certain tasks.

How ADA Helps

Special needs attorneys have daily experience with the issues that matter to families of children with disabilities– but which are largely unfamiliar to other lawyers. ADA can advise you about:

  • Qualifying and applying for appropriate public benefits
  • Creating special needs trusts (SNTs) to protect eligibility for means-tested government programs
  • Availability of local services and supports
  • Special education
  • Guardianship and powers of attorney

We welcome you to reach out for help. Please contact us today.