call us 877.283.4807

Call us at 877.283.4807

How to Get Paid to Take Care of Your Child with a Disability in California

get paid to take care of child with disabilityIf you live in California, there are several programs that will pay you to take care of your child with a disability. That means if your child has autism, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, or another disability, he may be eligible for financial benefits.

Finding out which program is the best for your family and what you are eligible for is important. For example, sometimes your income, veteran status, marital status, the value of what you own, or whether or not you are currently employed or the type of insurance you have, can impact your eligibility for paid caregiver programs in California.

The following are three main ways to get paid to take care of your child with a disability in California:

In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)

IHSS is the best financial program offered in California. In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) is a Medi-Cal program that provides support to children with special needs such as personal care and assistance with household chores so they can remain in their own homes. You do not need special medical training to become a provider for this program.

California’s IHSS program is very broad in the range of persons who can be hired. Siblings, adult children, nieces, nephews, friends and even spouses can all participate in the program. This means that you, as a parent of a child with special needs, can be the provider who gets paid to take care of your child.

However, your child must be assessed to have a need for assistance. You also must meet Medi-Cal’s strict financial eligibility measures. Assistance determining eligibility and qualifying for IHSS is available, though, and seeking an advocate who can walk you through the process is helpful in getting approved for the program.

California CalWORKS (TANF)

CalWORKs is a welfare program that gives cash aid and services to eligible needy families in California. If you do not have a lot of money and you need housing, food, utilities, clothing or medical care, you may be eligible to receive immediate short-term help.

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of the state of California, responsible for a child who is a minor, a U.S. national, citizen, legal noncitizen, or permanent resident, have low or very low income, and be either under-employed (working for very low wages), unemployed or about to become unemployed.

California’s Paid Family Leave Act

The Paid Family Leave (PFL) Act allows you to take time off from your job to care for your child with a disability. You continue to receive a percentage of your salary while doing so. The actual percentage will vary but usually California provides up to 70%. While you are not formally being paid to be a caregiver, you do continue to receive compensation from your job while you are caring for your child. To be eligible to paid as a caregiver under PFL Act, you must be related to your child who requires care. More specifically, eligible relations include parents, parents-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, children, siblings, spouses, or registered domestic partners. You must also be employed and taking time off from your job to provide care. The program allows caregivers to take up to 6 weeks off.

If you feel overwhelmed and you need help, please contact us.

American Disability Association is dedicated to the wellbeing and protection of children with disabilities and actively provides support to enhance their quality of life. Whether you are dealing with federal or state benefits or struggling with a school district to get proper education for your child, we have the resources to help you. Many individuals and families managing a disability are not aware of the wide array of services available to them, or they do not know how to apply for these benefits in a way that is likely to succeed.

Contact us for help. Dial (877) 283-4807 or email us at [email protected]