call us 888.323.2133

Call us at 888.323.2133

down syndrome

Can I Get IHSS for My Child with Down Syndrome?

Raising a child with Down syndrome is difficult sometimes. And if you are struggling financially, it can seem even more daunting. You have to work and pay the bills, but your child needs extra care. How do you juggle all the responsibilities? Fortunately, there are resources available to assist you, such as In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS). But can you get IHSS for your child with Down syndrome?

What is IHSS?

In-Home Supportive Services is a program in California that provides funds to either hire a caregiver or receive payment as the caregiver for your child.

It can help you financially to stay home and take care of your child with Down syndrome—so you can go to all the doctor appointments and therapies, you personally can supervise the services, and you can monitor what your child receives.

There are three different IHSS programs: The Medi–Cal Personal Care Services Program (PCSP), The IHSS Independence Plus Waiver Program (IPWP) and The Original or Residual IHSS Program (IHSS–R). The PCSP and IPWP programs are funded with federal, state and county dollars, while the IHSS–R program is funded with state and county dollars only. Each of these programs provides the same services but have different eligibility criteria.

PCSP: Recipients are eligible because they have qualified for Medi–Cal on basis of age, blindness, or disability. Most IHSS recipients are part of the PCSP program.

IPWP: Recipients are eligible because they have qualified for Medi–Cal and are also part of one of the following groups: parent provider for a minor child, spouse providers, advance pay cases and meal allowance cases.

IHSS–R: Recipients do not meet PCSP or IPWP requirements and usually have Satisfactory Immigration Status, which denies them federal reimbursement.

IHSS Service that Cover Down Syndrome

Protective Supervision: safeguard from injury for persons with mental impairments

Domestic: meal preparation, cleaning, laundry, and taking out the garbage

Transportation: driving to medical appointments and accompaniment

Personal Care/Non–Medical: bathing, feeding, and toileting

Paramedical Tasks: assistance with medications, bowel and bladder care, or catheter insertion

Qualifications for IHSS for Down Syndrome

If you are a California resident and receive Medi-Cal benefits for your child with Down syndrome, you may be eligible for IHSS. Eligibility is assessed with an evaluation regarding whether your child needs the services it provides to stay safely in your own home as an alternative to out-of-home placement.

How to apply for IHSS for Down Syndrome

You must complete an IHSS application. As part of the application process, there are many pieces of documentation that will need to be submitted accurately, such as a medical certification form and similar forms.

Once IHSS receives your application, a caseworker will be assigned to conduct a needs assessment. During the needs assessment, the caseworker will come into your home and ask you questions about your child’s physical and mental capacity in order to determine what he or she can and cannot do. Your living situation will also be evaluated. After the needs assessment, the IHSS caseworker will contact you and let you know if you have been approved or denied the service.

If you feel overwhelmed and you need help, please contact us.

American Disability Association is dedicated to the wellbeing and protection of children with disabilities and actively provides support to enhance their quality of life. Whether you are dealing with federal or state benefits or struggling with a school district to get proper education for your child, we have the resources to help you. Many individuals and families managing a disability are not aware of the wide array of services available to them, or they do not know how to apply for these benefits in a way that is likely to succeed.

Contact us for help. Dial (888) 323-2133 or email us at [email protected]